New legal provisions as of 2017

The end of the standard golf cart
All vehicles should now be approved at European level. In other words, every vehicle should be provided with a Certificate of Conformity. An electric golf cart on public roads has a power of 2.2 kW (23-30km/h) and an LSV (Low Speed Vehicle) has a power of 5.5 kW (40-45 km/h). The driver of a silent cart with registration plates must therefore hold a driving licence. As of 1 January 2017, all new golf carts L7e registered in Europe should comply with the new European regulation of the Decree of 15 January 2013 which is to enter into force on 1 January 2017.

“Park & Drive” more and more applied

People over 18 who hold a car driving licence are thus allowed to sell/hire out golf carts in spite of the limited speed of 23/30km/h. This “European regulation” is set in collaboration with different police units per country. You can even hear positive statements that golf carts oblige road traffic to move slower on public roads as well as in town and everybody benefits from it. Some town centres even provide parking spaces for such electric cars.

These parking spaces are also called “Park-Drive”. You will find such spaces among others in Puerto Banus (Marbella, Spain), Cadzand and Knokke, Nieuwpoort, in Germany, in France, etc. In the next few years, these ‘park-drive’ spaces for golf carts will become a must. In the Dutch Limburg, among others in Maastricht and Roermond, we have also switched to ‘Park-Drive’.

New European rules as of 2017

Electric vehicles should therefore comply with the European rules to be allowed on public roads. This regulation will be adopted in January 2017. The use of a registration plate on a golf cart and on a Low Speed Vehicle L7e for public roads is compulsory all over Europe. The dimensions, colours and positioning of registration plates may differ from one country to another. Every registration plate on a golf cart or Low Speed Vehicle for public roads shall bear the national code and a combination of figures and/or letters used in a unique way in each country. In this way, the owner of the vehicle and the technical specifications for the vehicle up to its approval are traceable.


In the Netherlands, the registration is made by the RDW (Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer is the body in charge of motor vehicles in the Netherlands). In Belgium, the registration is made by the DIV (the Direction pour l’Immatriculation des Véhicules is responsible for the registration of motor vehicles). To register your car in Spain, you have to go to Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico and in Germany your vehicle should pass the technical test (Tüv or Dekra). Every reliable golf cart supplier such as Invest-Mobile will certainly help you with it. For other European countries, we will be glad to answer your specific questions.