Compulsory license plate

In Germany, the Netherlands, Spain and the rest of Europe, registration plates are required on golf carts. Electric golf carts on public roads must be fitted with a national approval or Certificate of Conformity (A “Certificate of Conformity” is the easiest way to register a vehicle in European countries). Also through using the VIN number on the chassis, it possible to identify the correct owner; and this is possible throughout Europe.


Also in Belgium, the license plate has proven to be an advantage seeing that a license plate can only be requested along with an insurance vignette at the time of registration. Every vehicle (even electric golf carts) that drives on public roads must be identifiable for the government. Many drivers drive their vehicle in different countries, where the government also wants to identify the electric vehicles. Electric golf carts that do not hold a license are not in order as they do not have national approval or a COC. By also obliging license plates in Belgium, this problem was immediately resolved in Knokke-Heist. Knokke-Heist was previously the only place in Europe where it was possible to drive around on the street without a registration plate.

European regulations

The electric vehicles must therefore comply with European regulations for driving on public roads. Fixing a license plate on a golf cart and Low Speed ​​Vehicle for public roads is mandatory throughout Europe. The size, colour and location of the plates may vary from country to country. All registration plates for golf carts and Low Speed ​​Vehicles for road use must contain a country code and in any given country a uniquely issued combination of letters and/or numbers; whereby it is possible to trace the vehicle owner as well as the technical specifications which belong to the vehicle in accordance with the approval


In the Netherlands, the registration is done by the RDW ( Rijksdient voor het Wegverkeer [Ministry of Transport], is the institution that provides the registration of motor vehicles in the Netherlands). In Belgium, the registration is done by the DIV (De Directie Inschrijvingen van Voertuigen [The Management Registration of Vehicles ] or DIV is responsible for the registration of motor vehicles). To register your car in Spain, you can contact the Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico [Provincial Traffic] ; and in Germany your vehicle must be inspected (TÜV or DEKRA). Any reliable supplier of golf carts, such as Invest-Mobile will certainly be happy to help you. For other countries in Europe, we are happy to help you with specific questions.